Here are some things you may want to know about working with me…
Q: Why would I hire a freelance writer?
A: There are three scenarios:
- You don’t like to write or don’t want to learn the strategies of copywriting, so you decide to hire out your writing projects.
- You like to write and are good at it, but don’t have the time. You’re busy running your business.
- You do write some of it, or have a writer on your staff, but could use some help with a special project or some overflow work.
Q: What kinds of projects do you do?
A: I write projects that connect you with your target audience. Specifically, projects that’ll help you grow your website traffic and convert your leads into customers. These include:
- Website content — either brand new or an overhaul of part or all of your current content
- E-newsletters, email campaigns
- Articles — for your own site, an industry publication, etc.
- Lead generation pieces like special reports, e-books and infographics
There are lots of details on my Services page.
Q: How long will it take you to write my project?
A: A lot of variables here: how big is your project? A website overhaul could take 3 months or more. An article maybe a week. Even “rush” jobs need a few days if you want my best work — which you do.
Two of the biggest variables are on your end:
- How many are in the approval process? The more there are, the longer approvals take and the longer your project will take.
- How soon will you have your changes or go-ahead back to me once I send you the first draft, second draft, etc? If you get back to me within a day or two your project will move along much faster than if it takes you a week or two.
A final due date will be established in the written proposal.
Q: Can you handle the design too?
A: In many cases, yes. I have over 20 years of experience in graphic design, and can take care of the design for many of your projects. If you want something exceptionally fancy that I won’t be able to do well (this infographic, for example), I’ll let you know.
You can see samples of projects I’ve designed by going to the Portfolio page on my website.
Designing your project as well as writing it will increase the fee by 30-50%, depending on the complexity.
Q: Do your prices include revisions?
A: Yes, as long as the revisions don’t change the initial scope of the project, and they’re given to me within two weeks of a draft or within 30 days of the final invoice.
Q: Do you have a payment plan?
A: Yes. If you’re a very small organization with a small marketing budget, we can arrange payment so it’ll work for both of us. Normally I’ll ask for 50% down before I begin your project. The rest will be due upon completion. If it’s a very large job, we can set up a monthly payment plan for as long as the project is in progress.
Q: OK, I want to hire you! What’s the next step?
A: Give me a call! We’ll talk about your project. I’ll ask you to important questions that details things I’ll need to know like:
- What’s its purpose?
- Who’s your target audience?
- Will there be any interviews?’
- Is this just writing or also design?
- Are there others I’ll be working with on this project?
Once I’ve got my questions answered, I’ll write up and send you (by email) a proposal detailing the scope of the project and what my fee will be. When I’ve gotten the reply from you (by email) that all looks good, along with your deposit, we’ve got a partnership and your project will get on my schedule.
Q: What will you expect of me?
A: When you hire me to work on a project, I’ll expect you to be available for questions. That doesn’t mean I expect you to drop everything when I call or email. But I’ll need to hear back from you within a day or two in order for your project to stay on schedule.
I’ll expect you to gather any previously written material you already have that will be helpful for me (brochures, white papers, case studies, web pages, etc.).
I’ll ask you more questions. Anything that’ll help me learn more about your business and your customers.
When I send a draft for your changes or approval, I’ll expect to have those changes back from you within two weeks. If I haven’t heard back from you by then, I’ll assume all is well, consider the project done, and send my invoice.
Q: What if I don’t like what you’ve written?
A: Read through some of the pages here on this site, especially the articles. They’ll give you an idea of my writing style. If you’re comfortable with that, I’m confident I’ll be able to write your project to your satisfaction.
We’ll be in touch during the process, and I’ll send you at least one rough draft to look at along the way.
Revisions are included in the price quote, as long as:
- they’re assigned within 30 days of receipt of the final copy and invoice, and…
- the scope of the project hasn’t changed.
Q: Do you take rush jobs?
A: If you mean — will I start and finish your project by later today or first thing in the morning? No!
If you mean — will I interrupt the other projects I’m doing right now to take yours because you need it by next week? Maybe…if:
- I can fit it in without jeopardizing my current projects…
- It can realistically be finished by your due date…
- You’re willing to pay a 25% rush fee on top of the regular project fee
If you have a question I haven’t answered here, please email me directly at: email@example.com